Before you can enroll in a health plan that coordinates with Medicare, you will need to enroll in Medicare Part A (Hospital benefit usually no premium cost) and Medicare Part B (Medicare benefit monthly premium of $148.50). Medicare Part B premium starts at $148.50 per month for 2021 and could increase according to your household earning in 2020.
You can apply to enroll in a Medicare plan three months before your 65th birthday, the month of your birthday and three months after your birth month. ( See our “What is Medicare” Tab and then click on enrollment periods for more details).
If you have waited and had credible coverage past your 65th birthday then you would need to enroll in Part A when first eligible and Part B prior to enrolling onto a Medicare Plan.
Medicare and your health options typically start the first of the month. The sooner you can apply for your benefits will help ensure you will have your ID card(s) by your effective date.
You can conduct most of your business online with their secure and convenient online services. Their online services are available from anywhere and from any of your devices. You can:
Click to Apply for Medicare
- File a claim for retirement, disability, or Medicare benefits;
- Apply for Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drugs;
- Check your application status;
- File an appeal if you were recently denied disability benefits;
- Request a replacement Social Security card (in most areas);
- Print proof of your benefits;
- Explore all of the benefits you may be eligible for at Benefits.gov;
- Request a replacement Medicare card, although your healthcare provider can verify coverage if you know your Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) number;
- Print a SSA-1099;
- Change your address, if you receive benefits;
- Set up or change your direct deposit; and
- Much more.
They also have information to answer most of your Social Security questions online, without having to speak with a Social Security representative. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. If you need to speak to someone, the Social Security office phone number is 1-800-772-1213.